Today we got a pleasant surprise at our house, a semi trailer full of cattle. Mommas and babies. Ryan and his brothers worked the first calf heifers and calves this morning and then brought them up to our house to pasture for a little while. We don't have much pasture it is a dry 80 acres, so it wont take these 50 pair long to eat it all up. Ryan is risking his neck to put the finishing touches on the cows as they exit the trailer:
They have to haul the cows separate of the calves so the calves don't get trampled to death so when they all arrive they have to mother-up. Those mamas cry and cry for the babies, and the babies cry and cry for the mommas, you can tell when they find each other because the crying stops. We will turn them out to pasture in the morning, or possibly tonight, they seem to have found each other quite quickly, which is good. Here are the mommas looking for some babies:
The kids had a cold lemonade and a cookie for the men. They all enjoyed the sugary snack, the kids especially!
The weather has been beautiful, I felt a little sweaty and kind of got mad about it, but then I realized how long I have been wanting this warm weather and I am sure it is only going to get more HOT, yeah! 

2 comments:
the whole cow story totally cracks me up because that is totally the life (out on the farm)that I escaped. Don't get me wrong, it was a good life and I learned alot, but there is ALWAYS work to be done and hardly anytime for relaxing. Back then my mom and us kids were my dad's hired men and of course now that we are gone he has hired some. The part that drove me the most crazy was that my mom was always helping him and her house was always lacking.
Mijken, you are a total shutterbug. You always have so many pics. Ilove it!
Post a Comment