Thursday, December 15, 2011

12 Days of Service

Our family is in desperate need to do some service.  We are really good about helping out our friends, cousins, teachers, strangers, etc. but we don’t want to help each other, imagine that!  SO  being the super smart Mom that I am came up with a plan.  We are doing 12 days of service to each other.  Not to friends, or cousins, to our sisters and brothers!  I have seen lots of ideas on pinterest that involve candy and treats and all these fun rewards, but I think we just might miss the point of serving if we are only doing it to get a candy!   Last night was our first trial run, it started rough, like as in “what is service Mom?”  Oh dear I have really failed them!  So after a little crash course in service we were off and running!  I want to record what things I am seing done around our home over the next 12 days, the kids are supposed to do their service without saying anything so I might miss a few things but I am really excited already!

Justin washed Emma’s calf feeding bucket out for her and cleaned Claire’s room.

Ashley and Claire cleaned Emma’s room (which was a HUGE job) Emma was so mad and banging on her door wondering why Ash went in and locked it.  I reminded her about our little service project and she said OH, I forgot…..  See we are totally not used to someone doing something nice for no reason.

Emma made Claire’s bed.

I wrote a love note to Justin.

Ryan made me start exercising again.  He has consented to exercise with me though, I don’t know how long he will last doing the Biggest Loser workouts.  (and I thought I was uncoordinated!)  HA!

So it wasn’t all smooth and easy, and I am sure like most things I am going to have to do a LOT of reminding, which is fine, we are just learning.  I really hope that they will learn 1- that they love each other, and 2- that they don’t always have to be rewarded for doing good.  I am hoping to have a “merrier” house at this Merry time!

2 comments:

Jaimie said...

That is awesome!!! You totally inspire me as a mother.

April said...

What a good idea! I think I'm gonna steal it for one of our family nights...you know I made a new years resolution to have family night EVERY week....So now I have to come up with lessons and such that will make my kids continue to want to do family night!