Thursday, August 30, 2012

Chickens

It has been a while since I have done a chicken post.  They are still fun to have, I worry about them getting eaten by a predator, or the neighbors dog, but so far so good.  They just own the place and go where they please.  They are really noisy at egg laying time, but are pretty quiet for the rest of the day.  I love that they have such a happy life, but the problem with free range chickens, is free range eggs!  We found a lovely little stash in the front flower bed tall grasses.  40 EGGS!  REALLY, come on ladies, you have that darling house to lay in, use it!

100_0241100_0242

I just couldn’t bring myself to eat them so we threw them all out.  I even tested them by the sinking, floating method and none of them floated, but I just couldn’t eat them anyway.  Claire was devastated!  They are all laying every day, so 7 eggs a day is plenty for us.  Since this they have all started to lay in the coop except the red chicken, she lays green eggs and we have only collected two, I know she must have a stash somewhere around here.

1 comments:

Jami said...

Dang, I havent commented forever! I think it would be fun to have chickens! That is a heck of alotta eggs! Since Zeb and the kids dont like eggs it would just be me and I doubt I could eat them straight from the chicken....just something about it that grosses me out! I will eat them from the carton though, so I dunno...haha